Tuesday, May 11, 2010

What Really Matters


Mother's Day is a fun day for me, not just because I'm a mom and I get a little pampered, but because my husband really has to use his imagination.

On my first Mother's Day my daughter was about 9 months old. She (read: my husband) gave me sterling silver Tiffany & Co. heart earrings. They were beautiful. I loved them. A great idea for any first time dads out there!

Now the interesting thing to note here, is that my dear husband tends to believe that once he's done something, like get me an expensive gift for a holiday, that a precedent has been set. He then attempts to "out do" or "live up" to this imaginary standard that he's given himself. I know, I know, I should encourage this behavior right?

Well, it just so happens, that our family experienced a life changing event which affected us financially. My husband, miserable with his career pattern (computer programming) decided, with my whole hearted support, to return to school to pursue medicine. After years of taking classes to compensate for what he missed the first time around in college, he was accepted into Medical School.

This brings us to our first holidays as a family of three living on student loans. I don't particularly remember Christmas, but I clearly recall Mother's Day. My husband seemed stressed, more than the usual stress level of learning all that medical doctor-type stuff. When I approached him about it, he said that he was worried about "letting me down" on Mother's Day.

We had a good talk about what really matters that day. I remember telling him that a handprint of my little girl on a piece of paper would be more precious to me than anything he could find at a store. When he felt the sincerity in my words he looked encouraged. That year, I did in fact get a handprint from my girl and a new precedent had been set.

Now each year around Mother's Day, I'll hold up in a room and read, or write, while trying not to listen as my husband and children create handmade treasures for me. I especially love it, because it puts my husband out of his comfort zone… he has to plan, to craft.

This year, my husband led the charge as my daughter and son made me Friendship Pins. I attached them to my sneakers so that I can be reminded daily of what truly matters. It's not the toys we buy, but the love we make.

2 comments:

  1. Suzy - I so totally GET how special this must've been. And just imagine 2013.... They are BEEEATUUTIFUL as Charlotte might say in her very own words. These heartfelt expressions mean more than every gift in the world that our culture says we 'should' exchange on certain dates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Suzy, This is so good, You make me cry Happy Tears. I always told you, "You know how to put words on paper".
    I love you very much. G.M. xoxo

    ReplyDelete