Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Dash to the Ballpark

Last Saturday was "Family Night" at our local Minor League ballpark. For $29.95 ($40 after paying through Ticketmaster - the crooks!) we received 4 tickets, 4 vouchers for a free meal at Chick-fil-a and 4 embroidered team hats. Not bad, even with the extra Ticketmaster fees.

Winston-Salem has had a baseball team, for just about forever. The latest incarnation is the Winston-Salem Dash (prior to this they were the Warthogs, EW!). The team has a brand new stadium. In fact it is so new, it still has that new stadium smell… really, the cement is so clean you could eat off of it! Construction was finally completed this Spring, after much controversy and near financial ruin. What started as a private enterprise is now owned by the city of Winston-Salem. And let me tell you, if they keep catering to families, Winston-Salem, and the Dash, are going to make a financial killing!

We had a blast. It was a warm night, although a bit humid as it had been raining off and on all day. The Dash hosted the Lynchburg Hillcats and, as soon as the last note of the National Anthem faded off into the evening, began to steadily beat their guests into the perfectly manicured lawn at BB&T Ballpark. Final score 11 to 4. 

The place was packed with over 7,000 fans in attendance, making it the largest crowd to date at the young stadium. We neglected to buy our tickets until Friday evening and wound up with lawn seats. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the lawn section. The view is not bad (I doubt there is a bad view anywhere in the whole stadium) and I'd venture a bet that the lawn is the most comfortable spot in the park. The Lawn is at a steep angle, which helps keep you upright if you have back ailments (like me) and is also the perfect angle for lounging while watching the game. A breeze seems to hit the lawn which really helps, and I'm unsure if the folks in the stand, surrounded by all sorts of stadium structure, can feel it so well, but, I don't know. My only complaint about the experience would be the concession prices. A coke was $4.00 for an ice filled cup that one could down in a matter of minutes. I understand the prices at these events are always high, but I think a town like Winston-Salem, with a minor league team, could be a little more reasonable.


It was a pretty perfect evening and an impressive display by the team. We even saw the Famous Chicken - the kids loved it! And although I'm still not over the baseball strike of 1994, and will always remain a Pirate fan in spite of their record, the Dash have come dangerously close to re-igniting my affection for the sport.

In the end, all I can promise is this… We will definitely be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment