Friday, April 2, 2010

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Today is Good Friday. It is today that my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ is beaten and tortured. Today is the day that Jesus allowed himself to die.

Good Friday is one of those uncomfortable days for Christians. It's the day we turned our back on our best friend. We denied him. We sacrificed him. We sold him out. We delivered him into the hands of his and our enemy.

And Jesus, turned the other cheek. Jesus forgave. In the face of our fear and anger and hatred and violence, Jesus loved.
I really don't like Good Friday. I don't like to think that I am capable of such ferocity, such mind boggling fear, such selfishness. I don't like Good Friday because it forces me to realize that, yes, I am capable of such sin.

But if there were no Good Friday, there could be no Easter Sunday. There could be no triumph, no forgiveness, no joy. Without the sacrifice there is no victory. Nothing worthwhile ever came easily.

It took me 3 tries to watch Mel Gibson's "Passion of the Christ." The first time, I made it to Judas in Gethsemane before I couldn't take anymore. The second time, I made it to the confrontation with the High Priests. The third time I watched it all the way through. I sat there watching and actually forgot the ending. And by the end, I was so spent and mentally exhausted that I couldn't move. And then… when the light shines on Jim Caviezel's face, the face that my mind at that point associated with Jesus, and he stands and walks out of the tomb... my heart felt light. I felt joy. I felt high.

I still don't like Good Friday. But I'm learning to appreciate it more and more.


And here is your Feel Good Friday clip! I didn't forget!
Happy Easter!




1 comment:

  1. Suzy, this is so powerful. I love what you have to say in this post. It is so hard to think that we could be so cruel to the one who loves us best. That we could so easily turn our backs on the one who loves us most. I hate to think of myself that way.....but it's all true.

    Oh the JOY of His Resurrection. Oh the JOY of His Never-Ending, Never-Failing LOVE!!!!

    He is my maker and my friend. I shall rejoice in Him!

    ReplyDelete