Monday, March 8, 2010

Jumping Monkeys and Me

Do you remember being asked, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” Some kids knew right away - a veterinarian, a firefighter, a teacher... I never had an answer. How can you pick just one? There are too many things to learn & explore to choose just one. My cousin Matty once told me that if he could be a professional student he would do that forever.


As it turns out, I am one of the fortunate few who grew up and was able to do exactly what I wanted, which is everything! Encouraged by my incredible, understanding and loving husband to follow what ever path I choose, I am able to stay at home with our 2 (soon to be 3) children. He has supported all of my dreams. I’ve been a costume designer in New York City, was awarded and completed an internship in the costume department of the Juilliard School, an online home based business, trained and became an accredited La Leche League leader. I’ve run away with the bohemians for summer theatre in rural Georgia, and brought home a Princeton educated clown to room with us in New York. And most recently, began exploring a Master’s degree program in Women’s History.


I have an exciting, eclectic, fun life that allows me to follow my obsession du jour.


Blame my parents. They raised me this way. Growing up in exotic locales with my Navy Dad and incredibly gifted (and crafty) Mom with an adventurous baby sister, I didn’t stand a chance at a normal life. And I would not have changed a thing!


So, you ask, ‘What is Jumping Monkeys?’ and wonder what you will find here. Jumping Monkeys is a verbal illustration of my life. My various interests, raising energetic lovable kids (who happened to be bouncing all over my bed and on my husband when I was thinking of a name for this blog) and my eccentric and sometimes surprising personal and political beliefs.


It is my hope that you will pour a cup of coffee, pull up a chair and join me for a conversation. We may not always agree - but I know we’ll have a good visit.


Jump On In!

No comments:

Post a Comment